Pest Control & Termite Control Myths
"Electronic pest control systems actually work". The only ones that work are the ones that emit a spark, barbequing the unfortunate cockroach. How could you place a solitary ultrasonic device in one room of a house, pointing in one direction and expect it to protect your whole home from pests?
2. "Make the poison a bit stronger for me so that it will work better." This is just dangerous and a waste of chemical. You can't kill a cockroach twice by doubling the strength or make the residue last longer. All you do is make the residue more dangerous to humans/environment and waste money on something that isn't necessary.
Female black widow spiders rarely eat their male companions after mating. Females are the most treacherous of the black widow spiders. Typically black, the body of female black widows is approximately one and one-half inches long, including the legs.
4. "Rat poison is "secret stuff" that keeps rats from smelling in your home". The truth? There is no such rodenticide. If you are baiting rodents, you can rest assured that they will die in areas where they normally frequent: their nesting site, their food source, or in between. Most rat and mouse baits are simply anti-coagulants, blood thinners. Any mammal's blood clots naturally. An anti-coagulant (Talon, Bromakil etc.) stops the clotting to an extreme, causing the rodent to die from internal bleeding. This is why you sometimes find a dead rodent that has blood showing in its ears or nostrils.
The first commercial anti-coagulant rodent baits contained Warfarin, which is still in use today by medical professionals to help prevent unwanted blood clots. These newer materials kill rodents faster, requiring less bait to kill targeted rodent pests.
It is true sometimes. If you see cockroaches in your kitchen every day, or at every night when you turn on the light, you have a real problem.
6. "Cockroaches clean themselves; therefore they are one of the cleanest animals on Earth." Try eating one ... ... only kidding! They inhabit the dirtiest places such as sewers and rubbish bins. They also urinate and defecate on your food. Still think they are clean?
Cockroaches don't crawl up to an invisible barrier and back up and go elsewhere. They run over it and pick up poison then die.
8. "Only dirty houses need pest control or being very clean will stop you having pests" Hygiene is a very important factor in pest control as it reduces the food supply of pests and increase the hiding places. Pests can be introduced to your environment via cardboard boxes from stores or by having them fly in on hot days from the street or other buildings close by (especially food preparation sites).
9. "Termites are white-ants" They are more closely related to cockroaches biologically speaking, although they look a little like "white ants." In Australia sometimes they are commonly called "white-ants," but they are really termites.
10. "If you surround your home with timber, termites will eat this and stay out of your home." If they are stacked around your home and will breed like crazy, termites will love plenty of food supplies. This will result in lots of termites and new colonies foraging around the perimeter of your home. Think that they will click here be satisfied with staying outside?
Outright Pest Control Lies
Would like pest control managers to be more informed and better trained than what they are now. ALWAYS ask for accreditation and license details before committing to getting any treatment done at your place.
This is a con job and used to be a normal practice years ago, before people woke up to the fact that termiticides (insecticides that kill termites) last for years. Twelve to six monthly inspections are necessary in high risk termite areas, but treatments aren't required yearly.
Do your homework before committing to a company or treatment and ask for references from happy customers. Remember: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."
"Electronic pest control systems actually work". How could you place a solitary ultrasonic device in one room of a house, pointing in one direction and expect it to protect your whole home from pests? These newer materials kill rodents faster, requiring less bait to kill targeted rodent pests. "Only dirty houses need pest control or being very clean will stop you having pests" Hygiene is a very important factor in pest control as it reduces the food supply of pests and increase the hiding places. Would like pest control managers to be more informed and better trained than what they are now.